Friday, September 29, 2006

A week of whale sharks (and other great stuff)

So, I finally got around to creating a blog...

And what a great week to start. Bottlenose Dolphins, Spinner Dolphins, Manta Rays, Blue Marlins, millions of Common Terns, and, best of all, a good few Whale Sharks. I thought that the slow season would mean that there would be more time to relax and chill out but, so far, it has been packed with incredible happenings, and I am beginning to suspect that no-one ever told the ocean that it was supposed to be quieter and less interesting at this time of year.

Well, lucky for us, the ocean has refused to become boring. And stuff is happening everywhere!


I came to the island 5 months ago, specifically to study the Whale Shark and now, with more and more of these lovely creatures making their appearance, our research is really starting to step up a notch. With the support of Kelly (a fellow scientist), Oscar (design) & Barbara (education), the Whale Shark & Oceanic Research Center is determined to establish Utila as a major center for marine research and education.

Besides my research interests, I also get to share my passion for corals, fish and other marine life in PADI specialty courses. These include Fish & Coral ID, Coral Reef Conservation, Digital Underwater Naturalist and Underwater Naturalist. All these over and above the Whale Shark Awareness and Whale Shark Research courses!

Well, there is tons of fun to have here in Utila, so if you have never been here before, now is a great time to visit!






To all of my friends from home, here is a photo of the mountains I love so dearly. They remind me of you all!

Namasté

No comments: